Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Simply Sylvia Homemade Granola Bars



Early morning is my favorite part of the day.  It's when I workout, sip on a cup of coffee, and just reflect. Like everyone, I have mornings where I'm super rushed and know I'll have to take breakfast on the go. That's when I love this recipe.  It makes 12 healthy alternatives to grocery store breakfast bars and they taste yummy too! 

Nutrition:
Servings: 12
Calories per serving: 200 kcal
Fat per serving: 1.3 g
Sodium per serving: 26 mg

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 egg whites 
*2 cups raisins or your choice 
1/4 cup light maple syrup
1/4 cup honey with 2 tablespoons water
**1/2 cup PB2
Cinnamon to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a cooking pan with Pam. Mix together the PB2 and syrup until well blended.  Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl, once mixed, stir together the wet and dry ingredients.  Spread evenly into a 9X12 baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool and cut into bars.  Wrap individual bars in plastic bags or place in an air-tight container.  Store in fridge. 

*Optional: sprinkle a light layer of PB2 or peanut butter on top of the bars with a smidge of the raisins or your choice ingredient

*Be creative! I like raisins because they give me the energy I need to power through the morning.  You can substitute for chocolate chips, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, almonds, coconut, etc.  

**I use PB2 because it has 85% less fat and calories than traditional peanut butter.  It comes as powder and you just mix it with water to the desired consistency.  Not a fan of PB2? Substitute in for peanut butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment